Monday 15 August 2016

Be Yourself!

I am thrilled to have been invited back to be a Guest Designer for Fernli Designs, who supply a fantastic quality range of laser cut designs.

For my first piece I chose to use one of the fabulous Tags which I combined with Tim Holtz products.
I began by applying one coat of Gesso to the tag to give a good base for my next layer of paints.
I applied Evergreen Bough and Mowed Lawn Distress Inks to a non-stick craft sheet and spritzed with water.
I mopped up the beads of paint with the tag; these tags are so sturdy and will take anything that you throw at them!
I continued to mop up the paint from the sheet; drying each layer between applications. I love the blend of colours.
I placed the Tim Holtz mini stencil over my tag and then applied Gesso lightly over the numbers using a piece of Cut 'n' Dry Foam.
The white really pops against the background and adds a further layer of interest to my design.
For my next layer I applied Black Soot Distress Ink to the reverse of the number stencil and then spritzed with water.
I then placed the stencil ink side down and then dabbed with a piece of kitchen towel and then dried with my heat tool.
I had a second background prepared using the Gesso Resist technique, colouring the background with Distress Inks. I stamped my focal image onto the background and then cut out the image.
I shaded around my focal image with a black pencil and then added some scribbly lines with a white pen.
I included a number embellishment from Tim's Idea-ology range to echo the numbers in my background.
To spotlight the focal image further, I added a painted circle around the image using an old lid.
For further interest I also included splatters of red and white paint to the background and repeated the sentiment from the focal image, adding to the top of my tag. I also applied Black Soot Distress Ink to the edges of my tag for definition.
Thanks so much for stopping by. I will be back soon with a second piece for Fernli Designs.

Tracy x x 

Fernli Designs Shop
Fernli Designs Facebook

8 comments:

Julia Aston said...

Wonderful techniques on this Tracy! love the mix of greens and stencil layerings! Julia xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Fantastic project Tracy! Love the pretty color palette and stenciled detail! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

Redanne said...

Great techniques and beautiful colour choices Tracy, I love the shape of the tag too! Hugs, Anne xx

Kim Dellow said...

Ooo fabulous Tracy :) Love all the layers and love that black soot inky print :)

Yvonne Garner said...

Fabulous! Is the gesso resist technique in one of Tim's books?

hazel said...

A fabulous tag and a great technique.
xxx Hazel.

Pamellia said...

Fabulous Tracy! I love the result you got with the blending of these colours in your background, and the dark accents really pop with the red splashes and touches of white! Love it! hugs :)

craftytrog said...

I adore this Tracy! Just made a journal cover with those exact colours! Lol! Love that little stamp too!
Alison x